For more information about our products:
Bamboo Body Garment Life Cycle
Sustainability was considered at the very beginning of the Bamboo Body range. Bamboo Body items are trans-seasonal meaning you can wear them all year long. The designs are versatile meaning you can wear them every day, no matter what you are doing. The range consists of essential items that will not date or go out of fashion meaning you can wear them year after year.
- Bamboo Body garments are made from a prolific, highly renewable raw material (bamboo)
- The bamboo plantations from which we source our material are managed organically. This ensures our bamboo is grown without any chemical pesticides or chemical materials
- Our garments are produced to the highest standards of sustainability. Our factory is committed to reducing emissions and recycling waste. Our factory meets all recommended state environmental protection standards.
- Bamboo Body uses recycled paper for swing tags, flyers and catalogues
- Bamboo Body garments do not affect animal welfare in any way
Low carbon footprint (pre-sale)
- No air transport is involved in transporting our garments
- Bamboo crops sequester more carbon dioxide than an equivalent stand of trees – growing bamboo for Bamboo Body clothing helps reduce carbon dioxide and increase oxygen in the atmosphere
- Our bamboo is grown pesticide free, herbicide free, GMO free
- Our fabrics are produced in accordance with published standards which ban the use of harmful azo-dyes, phthalates and APEOs.
- Bamboo Body garments are produced ethically. Our clothing factory does not employ workers under the age of 18. The working conditions and payment is fair and above standards recently set out by the Chinese Government. Our factory also complies with the ISO9001:2000 quality standard
- The growth of bamboo gives poorer rural communities an income, and the workers are not exposed to chemicals when working on our plantations
How is this garment sold?
- Bamboo Body will not use any unnecessary packaging. Our packaging is recycled and reused
How is this garment cared for?
- Bamboo Body items can be washed at low temperatures (40 degrees or lower)
- Our garments should be washed in full loads in washing machines, using phosphate free detergent
- Bamboo Body garments can be dried flat or line dried
Bamboo Body for Eczema and Allergy Sufferers
At Bamboo Body we believe that anything worn next to the skin should be pure and non-toxic. You might be surprised to know that 100% cotton is treated with a concoction of chemicals through its life cycle and certainly can’t be classified as pure and non toxic. It is reassuring to know that no chemicals were used when growing the bamboo in our fabric.
Studies have shown that 50% of women and 40 % of men testify to having a sensitive skin and there has been a rise in skin diseases such as neurodermatitis and psoriasis (ecotextilenews.com). Many people with eczema and sensitive skin find that the following can aggravate their condition
- Synthetic fibres
- Wool and wool blends
Bamboo Body products are kind to the skin of eczema sufferers. Our clothing:
- Contains at least 90% fibres derived from bamboo
- Is extremely smooth and soft and does not cause itching or rubbing,
- Is breathable,
- Is lightweight and can help regulate body temperature, keeping the
body warm in winter and cool in summer,
- Is great for layering so the level of clothing can easily be
adjusted and the temperature can be kept to a comfortable level
- Absorbs moisture keeping your body fresh and dry
Bamboo Body Production and Certification
The bamboo in our fabric is grown in the Yunnan Province in China without the use of any chemicals or pesticides.
Bamboo yarn is produced by pulverizing the bamboo stalks and then regenerating the fiber. Our fabric is dyed using azo-free dyestuffs. Our factory operates in conformity with ISO9001:2000 quality standard and is committed to the environment by reducing emissions and recycling waste. The factory pays all workers appropriately and does not employ staff under the age of 18.
While bamboo is grown organically, without the use of pesticides or chemicals, bamboo fabric is not certified organic. The process of converting bamboo to yarn does not meet the strict criteria for organic certification.
Our bamboo fabric is certified by oeko-tex 100 standard which confirms that it is environmentally sound and does not include any harmful chemicals.
Bamboo is a fantastic alternative, both environmentally and for wear-ability.
Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certificate
Our natural bamboo fibre and yarn is certified by Oeko-Tex Standard 100.
Textiles with this mark
- Do not contain allergenic dye-stuffs and dye stuffs that form carcinogenic arylamines
- Have been tested for pesticides and chlorinated phenoles.
- Have been tested for the release of heavy metals under artificial perspiration conditions.
- Are free from formaldehyde or contain trace amounts significantly lower than the required legal limits.
- Have a skin friendly pH
- Are free from chloro-organic carriers
- Are free from biologically active finishes